Dear Friends and Colleagues,
I am writing with a quick and important favor! Crystal Springer, MPH and IBCLC candidate, and I have received IRB approval to conduct focus groups to explore what new parents learn and understand from public service announcements (PSAs) regarding safe infant sleep. We are hoping you might be able to use your contacts to help us recruit participants for the study. We’re looking for women who are: 1) currently pregnant with their first child or 2) women who have had a child within the last two years.
Here are the details: We will conduct 4 focus groups the week of August 6th, to be held in Durham and Raleigh locations. Each session will have 8 to 12 women and will last no more than 90 minutes, during which time we will show them 4 safe sleep public service announcements (PSAs) and record their reactions. Each participant will receive a $10 gift certificate. There will also be snacks and drinks provided.
Here is what we are asking you to do:
1. Send a personal email or call someone who you know that fits the criteria. Or, you could ask specific women you come into contact with over the next couple weeks if they would consider being a part of this important study. Our current efforts have demonstrated that individual contact has resulted in the most fruitful recruitment!
2. Post the following on Facebook:
Calling all Triangle Mothers and Soon-to-be Mothers:
The University of North Carolina is looking for women who are pregnant with their first child and women how have had a child in the last two years to participate in a discussion on infant sleeping habits. The discussion session will last approximately 90 minutes. Snacks and drinks will be provided. Each family will receive a gift certificate for their participation in the study.
Who can participate?
• Must be > 18 years of age
• Women who are pregnant with first child
• Mothers of a child under 2 years
3. Email/post the recruitment flyer (attached).
Thank you in advance for your essential support of this project and for sharing this information broadly!
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.